HELPFUL VETERANS LINKSDisclaimer: The following are helpful web sites - not all links are a reflection of the support or endorsement from the American Legion.
Local Veterans Support• Hearts & Horses- Providing a Therapeutic riding for veterans with Veterans program
• Hospice Care Honoring Military - Larimer and Western Weld County military veterans a respectful, compassionate care, recognition of their service and specialized support for their families.
State Veterans Support
• Colorado Kids Fund - A special fund has been set up to disburse funds to those veterans who need immediate assistance for basic subsistence needs
• Department of Military and Veterans Affairs - 24/7 Veterans Assistance - Tom McCabe (720-874-1022) is the supervisor at the Veterans Affairs Combat Call Center at 14142 Denver West Parkway SUITE 335 Lakewood, CO 80401. They are a 24/7, 365 day a year referral source for Veterans, their families and other concerned citizens. They also routinely take calls from Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard personnel and their families seeking assistance and information on mental health counseling, veteran benefits, bereavement and various other issues. They liaison with the National Suicide Prevention Hotline when they receive a call from a Veteran crisis. They can be contacted at 877-WAR-VETS.
Larimer County Veterans Support
• Larimer County Veterans assistance: - Providing service for Claims, Benefits, Medical services, Education, VA registration.
• Larimer County Veterans Work Force - Providing assistance with Employment for Veterans
• No Colorado Veterans History Project – Interviewing and preserving the stories of veterans. The main objective is to get their stories down on permanent record for them and their families.
• Honor Flight Northern Colorado – WWII, Korean, Vietnam era or Purple Heart recipient veteran are being sought flight to war memorial in Washington D.C.
• Veterans Plaza of N. Colorado – Three acre site in Spring Canyon Park in Fort Collins (very west end of Horsetooth Rd). Dedicated to the Veterans.
• Veterans Crisis Line - Confidential helps for Veterans and their Families
National Veterans Support• Department of Veterans Affairs
• Social Security Office - You qualify for a higher social security payment because of your Military service. You must bring your DD-214 to the Social Security Office and you must ask for this benefit to receive it! Check the site for details.
• Order Your DD214 and Other Military Records On-Line - This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes.